This was day 43 out of 56 of Hal Higdon’s 10K Walking Program which called for either rest or an easy walk. Thus I chose weightlifting.
Shoes: Brooks Ravenna 3
Strength: Using novice guidelines and the Legs, Back, Chest, Arms template found at ExRx.net: One warmup set per exercise using 50 percent less recorded weight for 12–15 reps. After warmup, one set of 8–12 reps per exercise to volitional fatigue. Once 13–14 reps has been achieved, increase weight 2–10% for next workout.
- Lever Seated Leg Press: 15 reps @ 170 pounds
- Lever Lying Leg Curl: 12 reps @ 40 pounds
- Lever Standing Calf Raise (plate loaded): 12 reps @ 0 pounds
- Cable Straight Back Seated Row: 10 reps @ 85 pounds
- Lever Bench Press: 10 reps @ 70 pounds
- Barbell Upright Row: 12 reps @ 20 pounds
- Barbell Curl: 12 reps @ 30 pounds
- Cable Pushdown: 10 reps @ 30 pounds
- Sit-up (arms crossed): 12 reps
- Hyperextension: 12 reps
Note: Being my first day back, after a week off, I kept all the weights relatively light. Moreover, to keep pace with my new workout template mentioned above, I dropped my second back exercise (i.e., Cable Close Grip Pulldown), replaced the Lever Shoulder Press, Weighted Crunch, and Weighted Hyperextension with the Barbell Upright Row, Sit-up (arms crossed), and Hyperextension, and added a Barbell Curl and Cable Pushdown. Oh, and it feels good to be back!